Commissions of Inquiry Act 1950
Commissions of Inquiry Order (No. 1) 2019
1. This Order in Council may be cited as the Commissions of Inquiry Order (No. 1) 2019.
2. This Order in Council commences on 6 December 2019.
3. UNDER the provisions of the Commissions of Inquiry Act 1950 the Governor in Council hereby appoints the Honourable John Harris Byrne AO RFC as Chairperson and Commissioner, and Emeritus Professor John Phillip Carter AM FAA FTSE FRSN FIEAust FAIB as Commissioner, from 6 December 2019, to make full and careful inquiry in an independent manner with respect to the following matters:
4. THE Commissioners may make any recommendations arising out of the evidence, considerations or findings of the inquiry in relation to the matters set out in paragraphs 3a) and b) above that the Commissioners consider appropriate to ensure future Queensland dam projects are designed, constructed and commissioned to acceptable standards, as defined in Queensland Government legislation and regulation, Australian National Committee on Large Dams guidelines and engineering good practice.
5. AND directs that the Commissioners make full and faithful report and recommendations which they consider appropriate on the aforesaid subject matter of inquiry, and transmit the same to the Honourable the Premier and Minister for Trade and the Honourable the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy by 30 April 2020.
6. THE provisions of the Commissions of Inquiry Act 1950 shall be applicable for the purposes of this inquiry, except for section 19C (Authority to use listening devices).
7. THE Commissioners in making their inquiry:
1. Made by the Governor in Council on 5 December 2019.
2. Notified in the Gazette on 6 December 2019.
3. Not required to be laid before the Legislative Assembly.
4. The administering agency is the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.